In a past post (see here), we have seen the Danube in another hypostasis, completely different from what you will see now. At Cazane, the Danube was imposing, and it was passing through the massive
In a past post (see here), we have seen the Danube in another hypostasis, completely different from what you will see now. At Cazane, the Danube was imposing, and it was passing through the massive cliffs of the mountains.
Today, you will see the magical part of the Danube, full of life, which offers a true natural spectacle. Upon spilling into the Black Sea, the Danube created an accumulation relief. The Danube Delta is the second largest and best preserved of the European deltas. A good place for life, it hosts a high flora and fauna diversity, expressed both at species level and at terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems level.
When you get to Delta, you have to take a boat ride through the canals. You will find it easy to rent a boat here. You can choose the duration of the trip, depending on budget or time. I recommend you choose a longer trip, so you can visit as much of this paradise as possible.
I visited the Delta in the off-season, and I did not experience its full potential, but even so, it did not stop surprising me along my journey. The water level was very low and we were unable to enter the small canals. Outside it was cold and the wind was blowing hard. But the boat was covered and my journey became more comfortable and warm. The bargain, a very good guy, let me drive the boat. Of course, under his close supervision and for a very short distance.
Here are some pictures of my boat ride. Unique landscapes, plains wandering through the Danube, birds that have remained in the Delta, and fishermen full of hope, waiting for the sea to catch in the cold!
Fish tales, legends forgotten by time, which are now mentioned, only by the Danube waves. Let’s remain dreamers in the first part of the journey, discovering the legends of the area:
Legends from Delta:
- If you drink water from the Danube, you will live here:Any inhabitant of Tulcea will tell tourists that if they drink water in the Danube Delta they will live in this area and will give you examples of many cases where Romanians from across the country settled in Tulcea County after drinking water from the Danube. Moreover, women will be amused to tell how their husbands moved from different parts of the country to Tulcea after drinking the Danube water.Careful! You must know that the traditional fish soup is made with the Danube water. You risk?
- Never say ” Good luck!”(romanian: “Bafta!”) to a fisherman
If you’re a fishing enthusiast, you probably already know that traditional wish is always (without any exception): “Stretch!” ( romanian: “Fir intins”). The fishermen are quite superstitious, and if you say “bafta,” not just that the fish will stay away from the bait, but it will even bring you bad luck.
- Giant catfish that eat those who bathingIn Danube Delta localities there are stories about giant catfish that eat those who bathe in the Danube.
- The Tree of DesiresYou will find this tree in the Warriors. It grows in the place where there is a creek. The story of the power of this tree is also closely related to the fact that the area in which it grew was known for the Spring of Tamaduirii. The legend says that this tree can fulfill a desire if you tie to its branches, a personal object (a handkerchief). The tree was attributed to it, healing powers.
- Treasure of Ghiorghios KontogurisGhiorghios Kontoguris, was a famous Greek pirate in the nineteenth century. During his life, he robbed hundreds of ships after he was dragged on land, but the Greek pirate died suddenly, poorly and without complaining bz anyone. Everyone in the area wondered and continued to wonder where he hid his treasure. As he did not have heirs, the treasure is still hidden in the wilderness of the seashore and is waiting to be discovered.
Where do we eat?
At the Blue Lagoon in Murighiol, the food is really tasty! The restaurant looks great and is highly appreciated by the people in the area.
At Nicu and Aneta in Dunavatu de Jos you will have to prepare yourself for a traditional homemade cuisine. The portions are huge and the owners are extremely welcoming.
Part two will be ready soon. Until then, I’ll leave you a movie to inspire you!