Good health consists of eating the right foods, combined with regular exercise and rest. A balanced diet will help us stay healthy to cope with daily activities and in general, to lead a better life.
Here are 7 elements for a balanced diet:
- Protein – is a vital macro nutrient for every cell in the body. Every day, our body uses proteins to produce important molecules, such as hormones and enzymes, but also to build and maintain muscle tissue. Proteins are also great for satisfying hunger. Make sure you include enough protein in your diet each day to replace what you used. It is recommended that 30% of your daily calorie intake comes from plant or animal protein.
- Carbohydrates – are micronutrients that give energy, so it is vital to consume them daily. I recommend getting about 40% of your calories from whole grain carbs, beans, vegetables and fruits – not from pastries, juices and candy.
- Fats – Your body needs small amounts of beneficial fats. The typical American diet provides more total fat and saturated fat than we need, and not enough healthy fats, such as fish, nut, olive and avocado fats. Fats are a very concentrated source of calories, which is why it is recommended to limit your fats to 30% or less of your daily calorie intake.
- Vitamins and minerals – are involved in many of the chemical reactions that the body performs every day, and many minerals have structural roles in the body. A well-balanced diet helps you provide the vitamins and minerals you need, and daily intake of several vitamin and mineral supplements helps you get the right amounts.
- Phytonutrients – contain a number of benefits, such as preventing disease, increasing immunity and repairing DNA damage.
- Fiber – supports the digestive process and helps the development of friendly bacteria in the digestive tract. 25g of fiber per day is recommended.
- Water – 8 glasses of water a day is recommended. The body needs water to transport nutrients to the cells and to get rid of waste. Water also helps to control body temperature but also to lubricate joints, organs and tissues.
At the beginning of the article I said that in order to have a healthy lifestyle in addition to a balanced diet and exercise, rest is just as important. Discover the role of rest by reading the following article: https://stylishcocktails.com/en/life-style/sleep-the-role-of-rest-in-the-weight-loss-process/